Railways Around Llanelli

Local Docks

The earliest provision for shipping was simply letting ships settle on the foreshore as the tide went out and loading during low tide. The docks forming the port of Llanelli began with the formation of the Carmarthenshire Dock in 1802 followed by the Copperworks, Pemberton’s, New and North docks.
The breakwater that ended with a small pier and light was begun in 1858 and used slag from the Copperworks, one of the reasons why Llanelli wasn’t blighted by slag heaps. It took about ten years to complete.
Click on dock name for details
Carmarthenshire Dock
Pemberton Dock
Copperworks Dock
New (GWR) Dock
North Dock
Home
Local Railways
Trams & Buses
In The News
Galleries
Publications
Links
Carmarthenshire Dock
Pemberton Dock