On 18th April 2013 CADW listed Llanelli West signal box as Grade II.
Late in 2012 Network Rail announced that the signal box would close in January 2013 when a new barrier crossing would be installed with new safety features. The oversight would be in the hands of the power box at Port Talbot. The same would apply to the east level crossing. A local campaign began claiming that the ‘much loved’ signal box should be preserved. It is the only surviving signal box in Llanelli.
The Great Western Railway built the original signal box in 1877. It is classified as a GWR type 2 signal box. The Signalling Study Group developed the classification system by the 1980s. It was extended to its present size in 1904 when the lever frame was enlarged as track layout expanded.
The signal box was reclassified as a ground frame in 1969 and the main line through Llanelli as far as Burry Port has been under the control of the power box at Port Talbot since 1973. Technical issues with the new equipment at the level crossing have delayed the planned closure of the signal box.
CADW listed the signal box as of special historic interest as the only surviving example of a GWR type 2 signal box in Wales, and ‘believed’ to be the fourth oldest surviving signal box in Wales.
Installation of the new level crossing barriers proved more difficult than Network Rail first thought and the closure of the signal box was delayed until 2015.