Pemberton’s Dock was a development of an earlier dock built in 1794 by local coal mining partnership Roderick, Bowen & Griffiths to take coal carried on the Wern Canal. It was a simple shipping place but was rebuilt as an open tidal dock in 1803/04. Llanelly Copperworks owned it from 1807 and the Pemberton family had rights of access so their name became associated with it. It’s possible they owned it at a later time. It continued in use until being filled in in the early 1900s and covered by industrial expansion although it saw little commercial use after 1850 or so.